Badger inn on Facebook The Badger inn on Twitter

HomeMenus & WinesAccommodation • History • DirectionsJoin the teamEvents

The Badger Inn was built of brick at the end of the 18th century, probably 1770 and was first called The Brook Arms, after the Lords of the Manor, who had just purchased the estate. There was almost certainly an Inn on the site previously, which makes The Badger one of the first buildings in the village to be rebuilt by the Brookes dynasty. The Brookes family crest was of a brock, better known as a badger, hence the change of name to that of the present day. It was an old coaching Inn and the two storey part of the building was a coach house before it became a garage with a single petrol pump. This was later converted into a restaurant. Bare knuckle fighting was a regular sport here. In 1916, Mr Tite, the landlord, who hopefully did not take his name too seriously, died and moved next door to St. Bartholomew's Church, which he had always actively supported. The Inn was pebble dashed in 1934 and is listed as 'of architectural merit'

 

 

The above was taken from "Too proud to be forgot" - The history of Church Minshull Village by John H. Headon

Email: info@badgerinn.co.uk Telephone: 01270 522 348
Cross Lane, Church Minshull, Nantwich, Cheshire CW5 6DY